Plumbing leaks can happen at any time. Because a majority of your plumbing is hidden out of sight behind walls and under the floor, you may not notice a small leak for a while. Even the smallest of leaks can escalate, so it’s important to know the warning signs. If you are experiencing any of the following problems in your home, you can have peace of mind knowing that a Riley Plumbing professional is ready to help!
Problems Leaks Can Cause
- Mold or mildew. One of the most obvious signs of a leak is mold or mildew growth. Mold and mildew can grow if there is any excess moisture present. This can create a serious health hazard for you and your family.
- Damaged paint or wallpaper. Leaks can happen almost anywhere, including inside your walls. That’s why if you see warped or peeling paint, or cracked or discolored wallpaper, the culprit is most likely a leak.
- Stained walls and ceilings. A leaky roof will usually result in dark stains on the walls and ceiling. Sometimes the color of the stain can also help to determine what caused the leak. Dark brown or copper stains for example, are usually caused by a leaking pipe.
- Unpleasant odors. If there’s mold somewhere in your house, you’re more likely to smell if before you see it. Mold has a distinct odor, and usually when something smells musty, it either indicates a leak or old age. Be mindful of any foul odors. If you suspect you smell something musty, call a plumber.
- Warped walls and doors. Any type of leak or water damage is very harmful to wood, and wooden walls and doors are no exception. While the damage might be subtle, it’s a good idea to check your walls for any curved planks of wood, uneven surfaces, or slight discoloration. A house leak can also cause the doors in your house to warp, making them difficult to open or close.
- Condensation. If your walls appear to be sweating, it’s because there’s a leak somewhere inside your wall. A “sweating” wall or condensation is usually the result of excessive moisture accumulating behind a wall.
- Damaged flooring. It’s important to not only watch your walls and ceilings, but your floors as well, as hidden leaks can happen beneath tile and wood planks. Be on the lookout for warped wood, stains, soft areas, loose or cracking tiles, peeling caulk, and damp carpet. All are typically signs of a leak.
Now that you know what to watch out for, be sure to call Riley at the first sign of an issue.
How Riley Plumbing Can Help
One of the most important parts of maintaining your home is leak repair and detection. Even the smallest leak can quickly cause damage, so detection and repair needs to be done quickly and properly. When you call Riley Plumbing, our trained and certified technicians will give you:
- Non-invasive diagnostic technology that allows us to determine where the leak is without having to break down walls or rip up floors
- Expert advice on the best course of action for your situation
- Non-invasive leak repair options, including pipe bursting and pipe lining
- Remote sensor alert monitoring available as a preventative measure
- Upfront, transparent pricing and warrantees on labor and parts
- Fully licensed, insured, and bonded
- Recommendations for upgrading of old pipe systems
We want to help you keep your home as safe and comfortable as it can be. When it comes to your plumbing, we’ve got you covered!
Call Riley Plumbing today to schedule your leak detection and repair.